The EuroCrypt 2014 Rump Session will take place on the evening of Tuesday May 13th.
- Do you have breaking news, progress reports, or other topics of interest to the cryptographic community?
- Can you keep your talk short and entertaining?
The Rump Session is where people present breaking news, humorous takes on the subject, or more usually either present their rejected EuroCrypt submission, or present their submission to the next conference in the hope of influencing the committee. Since we do not want the audience to fall fast asleep, we much prefer the first two types of talks.
This year's Rump Session will be chaired by the Head of Typography for the prestigious Snake Oil Crypto Competition, that well known craptologist Kenny Patterson. Speaking to his local newspaper in a moment of stunning honesty, Kenny said ``I'm deeply honoured to be invited to chair the rump session at EuroCrypt 2014. I can only imagine the previous incumbent did a really bad job, because my previous attempts to run this session were a complete disaster too.''
To encourage people to submit humorous talks the ``Best Paper'' at the Rump Session gets invited to submit to the Journal of Craptology. So far this has not happened for a talk which was meant to be serious, but there is a chance....
So to ensure the Rump Session is as good as previous years we require your contributions. To request a talk slot at the EuroCrypt 2014 Rump Session, fill out the form below before Monday 12th May 2014, 23:59 UTC.
Some submissions may have to be rejected because of time constraints; please remember that the Rump Session is meant for short and entertaining presentations. We are not going to have any TALKS related to any conference/meeting announcements or job adverts since these types of announcements are now well served by the IACR's online Calendar of Events and Open Positions in Cryptology web pages. However, if you want to submit ONE SLIDE for such events then we will display these during the break of the Rump Session.
The file-switching time before each Rump Session talk often seems longer than the talk itself, and often is longer than the talk itself. The EuroCrypt 2014 Rump Session will attempt to reduce the talk-switching time by concatenating PDFs and PPTs for adjacent talks. If you plan to give a talk without slides, or if you don't have slides ready yet, please prepare and submit one slide stating your name and talk title.
Online updates of slides for previous submissions will be accepted until midday on Tuesday. Updated slides will not be accepted on USB sticks or by email!!!
We will be using the usual conference submission software for submission of your Rump Session slides.
The Abstract field must be used to submit the following information:
- A brief summary (not for publication)
- We've found collisions for SHA-3.
- I can factor in polynomial time using a quantum dongle.
- I can use near field radio signals to recover the PIN number from all your credit cards.
- Alice will prove that Bob doesn't know Jack.
- Explanation (not for publication) of why this talk belongs in the Rump Session:
In order of decreasing interest to the Rump Session chair these are...
- Money: I have already bribed the Rump Session chair.
- Will be funny: I really, really promise.
- Real Breaking News: Found this result yesterday in the pub.
- Partial News: Found this result four weeks ago.
- New Boring Stuff: The result has been accepted for some major conference you will all go to, so I can bore you twice with my result.
- Very Boring Stuff: Has been accepted for some minor conference none of you will go to, so I am going to bore you with it here instead.
- Old Boring Stuff: This result appeared at ErewhonCrypt 2010, so let me bore you again with a 20 minute talk condensed into 3 minutes.
- Bitter and Rejected: The result was unfairly rejected from the regular program.
The Category field must be used to specify what type of contribution your talk will be - funny, serious, or boring.